So I know I’ve been a total flake when it comes to my blog (case in point, I meant to upload this yesterday when it was actually Monday 🙈 d’oh). so I’ve got a super special recipe to share today – Vegetarian sweet potato and black bean emoanadas! I made these last week to celebrate national empanada day and they were the perfect treat!
these do take a bit of prep work but they’re totally worth it! Not only are they flavorful but they’re also portable aka finger foods so you can easily take them on the go. I ended up topping mine with avocado and a little cheese for some added flavor which I highly recommend because, I mean, avocado and cheese are life. Gotta love those healthy avocado fats!
– 2 cups whole wheat flour
– 3/4 tsp salt
– 1/4 cup water (plus extra 1/4 cup as needed)
– 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
– 1/3 cup olive oil
– 1 egg
– 1 1/2 cup sweet potato, baked and mashed
– 1 1/2 cup black beans
– 1 tbsp cilantro
– 1/4-1/2 tsp chipotle seasoning
– 3/4 cup sautéed red peppers
– 1/2 cup sautéed white onions
– 1 egg white
– mashed avocado
– mozzarella cheese
1) First bake sweet potato at 400 degrees for about an hour or until soft (While baking you can prepare your dough (see step 2). Let cool. Then mash and set aside.
2) Make empanada dough: In food processor, combine flour, salt, 1/4 cup water, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and egg. Process until dough just comes together. Slowly add 1/4 cup more water until dough is soft and easy to handle. Knead into a ball and place in a Tupperware container then let chill In fridge for an hour.
3) Prepare filling: mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
4) Preheat oven to 400 degrees f. Divide dough into 10 portions. Work with one portion at a time, covering the rest to keep from drying out. Roll out each portion into a 5 inch circle. Spoon 3-4 tbsp of filling into center of each circle. Moisten edges with egg white then fold dough over filling, pressing edges together to seal. Place empanadas on a large baking sheet. Cut 3 diagonal slits across each empanada. Bake for 16 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool, top with mashed avocado, mozzarella, and enjoy.
Stay tuned for more yummy recipes coming your way like chocolate covered cherry trail mix bars, cake batter and brownie batter protein shakes, and sweet potato nachos!