So, it was my birthday yesterday (may 18) and I decided I wanted to make my own cake this year. Really, the idea for this cake started out as a baked oatmeal creation and, over time, i experimented more and ended up with a mini black forest cake. It came out so well that I took a gamble and decided to make a larger scale version for my birthday. And it came out fantastically, if I do say so myself 😉
This cake is made with oats so it has the option to be made gluten free if you use GF oats and my favorite secret ingredient….sweet potato! If you’ve been following me for awhile you probably already knew what I was going to say :p Sweet potato is what helps keep this cake moist. Sandwiched inbetween the cake layers is a raspberry vanilla filling and to top it off is an almond vanilla (protein) “frosting”.
Black forest cake – dairy free, vegan, can be made gluten free with GF oats and protein powder.
– 1 1/2 cups oats
– 2 cups water
– 1 cup baked sweet potato
– 9 drops dark chocolate liquid stevia (or another sweetener of choice)
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 cup baking cocoa
raspberry vanilla Filling
– 1 to 1 1/2 cups raspberries
– 1 scoop vanilla protein powder of choice
– splash almond milk
almond vanilla topping
– splash almond extract
– 2 scoops vanilla protein powder of choice
– splash almond milk
extra toppings (optional)
– cacao nibs or chocolate chips
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees and oil 2 cake pans. set aside.
2. to make your cake, combine ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Pour batter evenly into the cake pans and bake for ~30 minutes or until cooked all of the way through. Once cooked, set aside and let cool while you prepare your fillings.
3. Get out two bowls and prepare your raspberry vanilla filling in one and the almond vanilla filling in the other. Add enough milk to each until you get a thick, frosting consistency.
4. Spread the raspberry vanilla filling onto the bottom layer of your cake. Carefully place the top layer of the cake on top. Spread the almond vanilla frosting on top of your top layer. Decorate with raspberries and cacao nibs/chocolate chips and any leftover raspberry vanilla filling.