In honor of National Pi day yesterday – I made a pie. This recipe is super simple to make and very flavorful. The end product is similar to a baked oatmeal. Sweet and delicious and clean enough that it can be eaten for breakfast 😉
Apple oat crumble – can be made vegan (double check your brown sugars to make sure they are vegan). Can be made dairy free. Can be made gluten free by subbing GF oats and oat flour (try Bob’s Red Mill)
– 2 apples, sliced
– spoonful brown sugar
– cinnamon to taste
– 2/3 cup oat flour (make your own by processing oats in a blender)
– couple spoonful’s of water
– 1/3 cup oats
– 1/2 cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees and oil a round glass 8-9 inch dish. set aside.
2. combine your apple slices, cinnamon and brown sugar in a skillet and cook until caramelized and soft.
3. layer your apple slices in the bottom of your glass pan (make sure to save a few for the top of your crumble).
4. in a separate bowl, combine your oat flour and water but add your water very slowly. combine until you get a thin, pancake batter consistency. spread over the top of your apple slices.
5. sprinkle cinnamon on top and layer your oats on top of that.
6. pour your almond milk over the entire mixture than layer the rest of your apple slices on top. bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
Question of the day:
What’s your favorite pie?