This dish combines fresh, raw ingredients like mixed bell peppers, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, spinach, broccoli, and red onion along with some protein (black, garbanzo beans, lentils), and grains (barley) to give you a nice, well rounded (and tasty) meal. So now that I’ve pretty much given you all of the ingredients, ill just leave you with this picture:
Basically I prepared everything separately then arranged it in a pretty pattern.
– 1/2 can organic black beans
– 1/2 can organic garbanzo beans
– 1/2 tomato, sliced
– handful of spinach, diced
– 1 cup cooked barley
– 2 cups cooked lentils (I used green and red but feel free to use what you want)
– 1 cup sweet potato, cooked
– 1/2 red onion, diced and sauteed
– 3/4 cup mixed bell peppers, diced and sauteed
– 1/2 cup broccoli
1) Basically, prepare everything in the order that you wish. I cooked the lentils and barley (in two separate pots) at the same time since they took about the same amount of time to prepare. While those were cooking I also prepared sauteed my onion and bell peppers. Once the barley was finished cooking I combined the bell peppers and onions with the barley and set them aside. I then combined the sweet potato with the lentils and set those aside. Then I prepared my other ingredients and had them ready so I could arrange them.
2) Arrange your ingredients in a large dish. I started with lining the dish with the lentil and sweet potato mixture. The next layer was the barley, peppers, and onion. The inner layer was mixed black beans and garbanzo beans. I arranged the tomatoes and the broccoli on top then sprinkled some diced spinach on top. If you don’t have time for all of that, you can always just combine everything in one big pot and call it a day. It’s all going to the same place anyway 😉
Question of the day:
Have you ever tried lentils? If yes, what is your favorite lentil based dish?