These bars are full of wholesome goodness. They contain nothing but natural, wholesome ingredients and NO added sugars. The only sugars are natural sugars from the yogurt and fruit. Don’t be afraid of the stranger ingredients like the butternut squash or the avocado or even the barley. The avocado provides healthy fats, it’s used to replace the butter that I originally used in this recipe. The barley just adds some extra wholesome goodness and protein. And the butternut squash adds vitamin c and vitamin a. You don’t even know these ingredients are in the end product so they’re great to use to boost the nutritional content.
The last time I made this recipe, I only added the blueberries. While the bars were delicious with just the blueberries alone, the bananas provide not only a little extra touch of sweetness but they also make these bars more moist, like a banana bread. Walnuts would taste amazing in this so if you have them, feel free to add them in, also!
(can be made vegan and dairy free)
makes 24 bars
– 2 cups whole wheat flour
– 1 1/2 cups oats
– 1 1/2 cups cooked barley (quinoa works well also)
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 2 tsp cinnamon
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 2 eggs (or 2 flax/chia eggs)
– 1 overflowing cup butternut squash (sweet potato or pumpkin would also work fine)
– 1/2 avocado
– 1/2 cup plain yogurt of choice (can substitute more squash/sweet potato/pumpkin or use a dairy free/vegan yogurt like SO if vegan or dairy free)
– 2-3 bananas
– 1 bag frozen blueberries
– optional crushed walnuts
1. preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9×13″ glass baking dish. set aside.
2. in a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients and set aside.
3. in a food processor (or another bowl), combine the rest of the ingredients except the blueberries. make sure there are no chunks and that your batter is a smooth consistency.
4. pour the wet batter into the bowl of dry ingredients. add your blueberries. combine ingredients well until everything is fully incorporated and mixed.
5. pour batter into your glass dish and bake for 30-40 minutes or until center is fully baked.
This recipe makes quite a lot so it’s perfect if you have a bigger family so you can spread the wealth. Don’t be afraid if you’re a single lady, though. These bars freeze wonderfully. I typically save half and throw the rest in the freezer. I’ve kept them in there for up to a month and they still tasted fine.