I have really been on a protein kick lately. In hindsight, I didn’t really go out looking to make another protein bar. It just…happened. That’s what happens when you’re bored on the weekend. And hungry. So anyway, onto the recipe. I remember seeing a recipe on chocolatecoveredkatie that utilized beans for an alternative chocolate chip cookie pie or something like that. So this is kind of a play off of that.
– 1 can garbanzo beans
– 3-4 scoops chocolate protein powder
– 1/2 cup almond milk
– 1 cup oats
– couple handfuls chocolate chips
– cinnamon (optional)
1) rinse your garbanzo beans very well then add to your food processor.
2) add in the rest of the ingredients and mix in your food processor until you’re left with a nice purée.
3) at this point, it s up to you what to do with your mixture. If your mixture can be handled, then you can add in chocolate chips (and cinnamon, if you want), form into bars, then freeze so they harden up.
4) or, if your mixture ended up like mine, all goopy and much too liquidy to handle, you can preheat your oven to 350, spray a 9.5×5.5 inch bread loaf pan, and transfer your mixture to the pan. Add in your chocolate chips and cinnamon and then bake for about 30 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I was able to get 6 4×1 inch bars with this recipe so I may double it next time and bake in an 8×8 pan so I can get more bars and freeze half. I’m always planing ahead.
Do you like to make large quantities of recipes then freeze half so you have more for later?