I’m a huge fan of make ahead meals. This one does take a little bit of work but it came out so great that its definitely,worth the effort. This is more or a dense but sweet, tropical bread with bits of strawberries and oranges. Instead of using flour, this bread incorporates almonds and oats as its base. It’s a great, filling bread that will keep you satiated throughout the morning.
Note: recipe is not mine. Comes from ‘The Mediterranean diet’.
3 cups oats
1/2 cup almonds
1 tbsp baking powder
1 ripe banana
1 cup mandarin or clementine orange slices, mashed or puréed
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup pumpkin purée
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 1/2 diced strawberries (frozen or fresh)
1) combine your oats and almonds in a food processor or a high powered blender and blend until you have a fine flour. Add in your baking powder then set aside in a large bowl.
2) now add the egg, orange slices, applesauce, pumpkin purée, and brown sugar to your food processor and combine until puréed.
3) in a separate small bowl, combine your vanilla and yogurt.
4) pour all of the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined.
5) now add your strawberries to your food processor and pulse until diced. Fold in the diced strawberries to your batter.
6) preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 inch pan (or you can make muffins).
7) pour your batter into your pan and bake for about 25-30 min.
What do you normally eat for breakfast?