So I was actually going to do a Christmas/holiday themed post today but as I was perusing my giant binder of recipes, I came across this recipe for pocket pies. This recipe was a favorite of mine to make last summer. They are very easy to make, versatile, and most importantly tasty! If you have kids, this is a great recipe to get your kids involved with cooking.
Makes 6 pies
3/4 cup fresh berries
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
6 tbsp apple butter (I don’t remember ever using this when I made this recipe so I would say this is more of an optional ingredient)
12 slices whole grain bread
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1) preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
2) wash your berries then set aside to dry.
3) mix together the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl and set this aside.
4) for each pie, spoon 1 tbsp apple butter (if using) then top off with a few of your freshly washed berries. Place another slice of bread on top so you have a berry sandwich, trim off the crusts, then press the edges of your sandwich together with a fork to seal in the filling.
5) lightly brush the top and bottom of your sandwich with some oil then place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops with your cinnamon sugar mixture.
6) bake for about 20 minutes then cool about 30 minutes before serving.
What type of filling would you use for your pies?