Ok so these bars are much tastier than they look. After my success with mixing pumpkin with a boxed mix I decided to give it another go but this time with a muffin mix.
I’ve had this box of muffin mix sitting in my pantry for quite some time now and decided it was about time I actually use the mix. I’m glad I held off on making the muffins though because I would have thought of adding pumpkin previously. I think adding pumpkin is my new favorite “go to” method now. Every time I use it, it seems to create this fabulously moist end product. Even without the pumpkin the muffin mix had a nice spice to it (I always have to taste the batter of whatever I’m making; it’s my way of determining if something is going to come out or not. Plus, I just like sneaking tastes). The flavor and texture actually reminds me of a pumpkin roll minus the cream cheese filling. On a side note, if you’re looking for a not so healthy alternative to the oat filling, a cream cheese filling would be awfully tasty 😉
Anyway, without further ado, here is the recipe!
– 1 box grain berry muffin mix (I found this at meijer)
– 1 apple of your choice (I think I used honey crisp)
– about 2 cups oats
– 1 1/2 cups pumpkin
1) preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8 x8 pan. Set aside
2) dice up your apple and set aside.
3) combine pumpkin with muffin mix until you get a nice and moist batter. Add in your apples and combine well.
4) divvy up your batter and add half to your 8×8 pan. Pour your oats on top of this layer. Cover with your remaining batter.
5) bake for about 30 minutes.
I feel these have a nice mix of grains and fruits so I actually eat a small bar for breakfast. Keeps me full and happy because, well, the bars are tasty. I used to choke down oatmeal and I just dreaded breakfast every morning because oatmeal just isn’t really my favorite food. Now I make all sorts of baked goodies and indulge in those every morning so I wake up with a smile on my face and actually looking forward to breakfast.
What do you eat for breakfast? What’s your favorite meal of the day?