It occurred to me that I’ve been posting a lot of dessert/snack type recipes so I thought I would post a recipe for an actual meal. The last few weeks I had been remaking recipes I had already posted on my blog, such as the coconut curry chicken and homemade Mac and cheese (which I actually made two weeks in a row).
So I’ve been really big on using coconut milk lately. Not only does it make a tasty hot chocolate but it also makes some tasty and flavorful chicken dishes. Case in point, the recipe below has a nice peanut flavor as well as a nice spicy kick to it. I was pleasantly surprised when Edward asked for a large bowl of it and then proceeded to eat all of it. I have been slowly (attempting) to convert Edward to ethnic cuisine. After discovering Thai and Ethiopian and Asian cuisine, I am finding that American cuisine is just…boring. So be sure to try this recipe to give your mouth a pleasant surprise.
Just a note: this recipe can be found on the back of a taste of that canned lite coconut milk which is handy because while buying the coconut milk you’ll have the recipe on hand for the rest of the ingredients you need.
– 1 can (13.5 oz) can of coconut milk (I used a taste of Thai lite coconut milk)
– 1 1/4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast (chopped into bite size pieces)
– 1 box a taste of Thai peanut sauce (both inner packets)
– 1 box frozen veggies (I used broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower)
– 1 lb spaghetti (I used the meijer brand whole wheat spaghetti)
– peanuts optional
1) first, start by preparing your spaghetti so it’s ready to go once your peanut sauce is done. Be sure to measure rather than make the entire box like i did and end up with enough spaghetti for 20 people. (Useful side note: cooked spaghetti can be frozen and then brought back to life by simply tossing it in some boiling water for a few minutes).
2) Once your spaghetti is cooked, set aside.
3) now prepare your frozen veggies by following the directions to properly prepare them. Set your veggies aside.
4) get out your chicken breasts and chop into small, bite size pieces. Set this aside as well.
5) gather all of your ingredients (coconut milk, veggies, chicken, peanut sauce, and spaghetti) and keep nearby and within reach of your stove.
6) pour your coconut milk into a large pot and add your chicken pieces. Simmer for a few minutes until nearly chicken is cooked almost all the way through.
7) add both packets of the peanut sauce to the pot and simmer until the sauce becomes nice and creamy (about 3-4 minutes).
8) add in your veggies and mix well then add your spaghetti noodles. Make sure your chicken is cooked all the way through then remove pot from heat and serve.
This was such an easy dish to make. so it took a couple of extra steps to prepare everything but I think the end result was worth it.
Let me know if you end up trying this dish and your thoughts.