I’ve always wanted to do a taco night. And since Edward was so sweet the other day surprising me with a brand new kitchen aid food processor AND a surprise packed picnic lunch at the park, I decided taco night would be a fun way to say “thank you”.
I decided to keep it somewhat simple and just offer lettuce, whole grain tortillas, and Mexican style cheese for the toppings. Instead of beef, I decided to use a marinated chicken. I used lawrys Santa fe chili marinade for the chicken and chose an uncle bens sante fe whole grain rice to complete the meal.
For the chicken, I pulled out 2 large raw chicken breasts from our freezer and let them thaw. Once they were thawed, I cut them up into bite sized pieces so there would be more surface area exposed to the marinade. I put the chicken pieces and marinade in a ziplock bag and let them hang out in the fridge for a couple of hours. Once done marinating, I cooked the chicken in a skillet for about 10 minutes. That was it! Everything else was pretty self explanatory.
Here’s a brief outline I followed to make taco night a success 🙂
1) Decide on your fixings
– Santa fe style rice (uncle ben’s 90 second rice)
– Mexican style cheese
– Whole grain tortillas
– Grilled marinated chicken
– Marinade: Lawry’s Santa Fe Chili
– Rip lettuce into bite sized pieces and place in a medium sized bowl, easy for grabbing
– Place shredded cheese in a small bowl, easy for grabbing
– Place both bowls on a large plate and place the tortillas between the two bowls
– Set out another (smaller) plate for the rice.
3) Prepare the chicken
– If using frozen chicken, let it thaw in the refrigerator before working with it. Once thawed, cut the chicken into small, bite-sized pieces then place in a zip lock bag. Cover the chicken with the marinade and let sit in the refrigerator for a few hours. After marinating, cook the chicken in a skillet for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.
– Place chicken on a small plate next to the other fixings and serve.
I highly recommend doing a taco night. It was so much fun and so delicious!