Going along with my fall favorites series, here is another of my favorite recipes to make in the fall. It also pairs well with the spiced chai tea recipe I posted yesterday.
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons orange zest
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Dash of vanilla extract
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1) Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a large baking sheet.
2) In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla, almond extract, and zest. Combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Mix in almonds. Divide dough into two pieces. Form into long flat loaves about 1/2 inch tall and 12 inches long. Place the loaves 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
3) Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until a light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
4) With a serrated knife, cut diagonally into slices about 1/2 inch thick. Lay the slices flat on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, turning over once. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5) now for the topping. Combine your vanilla, sweetened condensed milk, and chocolate chips in a pan and heat until your chocolate chips are just melted. You could also add a dash of almond extract to the mixture.
6) Transfer to a separate container then spread on top of your biscotti. Let stand at room temperature until set. Store biscotti at room temperature in an airtight container.
7) enjoy with a cup of spiced chai tea 🙂