I can’t take credit for this fabulous recipe but it is way too good not to share. Let me just start by explaining how much I dislike hummus. I have always turned my nose at hummus and despite my mom’s many attempts to get me to try it again, I just haven’t had the stomach to do it. Until now. I’m not sure what made me try this recipe. I already knew I had a dislike for hummus. I guess I was hoping if I didn’t like it, then my mom would like it since she does eat hummus. So I had a back up plan in case it didn’t go over well for me. Fortunately, it went over very well. The promise of a cheesy, pizza-like hummus drew me in and this hummus really delivers.
Just a note before I post the recipe, the picture and the recipe are from chocolatecoveredkatie.com. She is my inspiration when it comes to experimenting in the kitchen so thank you to Katie for not only being an inspiration but for posting fabulous recipes!
(image property of chocolatecoveredkatie.com)
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans (drained) (75g)
- 2-4 T nutritional yeast (this adds a cheesy flavor and can be found at a store like whole foods; try the bulk section)
- heaping 1/2 tsp dry basil
- heaping 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 T basil-and-garlic tomato sauce (90g) (Or plain tomato sauce, and add a little extra basil and garlic)
- 1 T olive oil (adds a nice rich flavor)
- handful of cheese (this wasn’t part of the original recipe but I had some cheese on hand so I added it at the end for a nice, extra cheesy flavor)
Ok take a deep breath because this part is really hard. Combine everything into a food processor and blend until smooth. Whew – that was hard. Make sure to keep in an enclosed container in the refrigerator if you have leftovers. Hah who are we kidding, as if there would be leftovers :p
- Wild Garlic Hummus Recipe (nami-nami.blogspot.com)
- Vegan spicy “turkey” and hummus wraps (snixykitchen.wordpress.com)
- Pizza Hummus (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)
- Red Lentil Hummus (strawberryginger.com)
- Avocado Hummus (thehooteats.wordpress.com)