I discovered this recipe this past valentines day and ended up making it for my fiancé for breakfast in bed. Unfortunately he woke up before I was able to surprise him with this in bed but he appreciated the gesture anyway. This is a great healthier alternative to your typical jelly roll and it tastes great. My fiancé had no idea that I used *gasp* whole wheat flour!
Recipe found on chocolatecoveredkatie.com
– 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (you can also use white but it won’t be as healthy)
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/4 tsp vanilla
– 2 tbsp sugar (I used less than 1 tbsp and it came out delicious. The jelly is sweet enough where you don’t need a lot of extra sugar. I would usually use an alternative sugar like dates but I was too lazy to do that this time around)
– 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp water
– honey (optional) if I has thought of it sooner I probably could have gotten away with just using honey in place of sugar. I guess this roll will just be extra sweet
– jelly (or whatever you want to fill your roll with. A custard could be good too)
– powdered sugar to sprinkle on top (just makes it prettier)
1) preheat oven to 420 degrees f
2) combine dry ingredients then add the wet. Mix well. Spray a pan (if you double the recipe an 8×8 pan works really well. If just doing a single serving, a pie pan will work well)
3) pour mixture into sprayed pan and bake for 10 minutes.
4) transfer to a plate and let cool for about 10 minutes.
5) once cool, add your filling (jelly, custard, whatever you choose to use). Carefully fold into a roll and sprinkle powdered sugar in top.
6) enjoy 🙂
I was going to post a picture but my roll completely fell apart and ended up looking, well, not all that appealing lol it still tasted fantastic though 😉 see, looks aren’t everything.
- “healthy” breakfast birthday cake (f00dventures.wordpress.com)
- Healthy lemon bars (f00dventures.wordpress.com)
- A love affair with bread: whole wheat pull apart challah rolls (f00dventures.wordpress.com)
- Soft-as-clouds Scones (f00dventures.wordpress.com)