As promised, here is the recipe for the beef vegetable stew I mentioned a few posts back.
– 2 raw chicken breasts (or 1 pound ground beef)
– 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jar tomato,sauce (I used a beef tomato sauce)
– 1 (15 ounce) can beans of choice (I used black beans)
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1) In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the chicken/beef, onion, and garlic and saute until meat is browned and onion is tender. Add the tomato sauce, beans and water.
2) Season with the chili powder, garlic powder, salt and ground black pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
3) any leftovers can be frozen for later use :)
And to go with your cozy stew, here is a great homemade 100% whole wheat roll recipe.
*Recipe is not mine (can be found here).
Soft 100% Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
2 Tb. dry yeast
1/2 c. warm water
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. honey
1 cup buttermilk or milk
4-1/2-5 cups whole wheat flour
1-1/2 tsp. salt
Dissolve the yeast in the 1/2 cup warm water in a glass measure. Set aside.
Cream the butter and honey in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Add the eggs and mix, scraping the sides. Add the milk and yeast mixture.
Add 4-1/2 cups of flour and the salt, mixing until combined. Change to dough hook and knead for 2-3 minutes only, just until no longer tacky, adding a tablespoon or two of flour, if needed.
Let sit in bowl, covered, to rise for one hour. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead a couple of times, then let rest 3 minutes.
Divide into 24 equal pieces, shaping each into a ball and placing in a buttered 13×9-inch baking dish with the pieces touching.
Let rise, covered for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Again, leftovers can be frozen for later use :)