I also decided I would experiment with the recipe just a bit. I didn’t change or add anything to the basic recipe, I just split it in half so I could try half the recipe with whole wheat flour (which is what the original recipe called for anyway) and the other half with bread flour. So below I am just going to post the whole recipe. This recipe made close to 30 rolls! I don’t think I’ll have a problem eating them all :p
- 2 apples, diced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- -2 oz bag chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- splash of milk
- splash of vanilla
- splash of maple syrup
(I took notes from Sally’s blog (link to her blog below – see mini cinnamon rolls in the related links at the end of this post) and stole her icing recipe.)
1) combine the warm water with the yeast, maple syrup, applesauce, and canola oil. Slowly add in your salt and flour until you get a nice soft dough. Don’t add in all the flour at once. Only use enough to get a soft dough.
2) oil a bowl and plop your dough into it. Cover with a towel and let rise until the dough doubles in size (typically takes about an hour).
On the left is my whole wheat dough and the right is my bread flour dough.
3) if you choose to add a filling, now would be a good time to get that going.
So I diced up my apples, added some cinnamon and set them aside.
4) When the dough has doubled in size spray the counter with vegetable oil spray and place on the counter. Gently pull the dough into a circle. Cut into 20 pie like pieces. Now is the time to add your filling. Carefully roll up from the edge to the middle to form a crescent shape.
As you can see, I couldn’t keep my hands off these once they came out of the oven. They are so light and fluffy and just yum!
Before I knew it, I had eaten 3 of these bad boys. There’s still quite a few hours left in the day. I don’t think these are going to last very long :p
- mini (no yeast) cinnamon buns. (sallysbakingaddiction.com)
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread or Muffins (gluten-free and vegan) (simplyhealthful.me)
- Focaccia, Focaccia Bread & Rosemary Focaccia (williams-sonoma.com)
- Sunshine Bread (cookingwithanne.blogspot.com)
- Cinnamon-Filled Scones (putneyfarm.com)
- How to Make Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls (bargaineering.com)
- Cinnamon Swirl Bread (hilbitbakes.wordpress.com)