My recipe for berry granola bars seemed to be quite the hit today so I thought I would follow up with another berry based recipe – berry crumble and oat bars. I love having these for breakfast. Quite the tasty way to start the day Just a note, the picture above is not mine. I don’t always take pictures of the foods I make so I unfortunately don’t have a picture of this recipe when I made it.
Recipe found on chocolatecoveredkatie.com
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (dates can also be used in place of the brown sugar)
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup plus 3 T cold margarine or butter spread (you could also sub coconut oil)
- 2 cups frozen berries (a nice assortment of berries is best. I typically use raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries. You could also switch gears and use apples in place of the berries.)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 3 T maple syrup or agave
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1) preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a small glass dish.
2) combine the first 8 ingredients. Make sure to break up the butter/margarine so it forms nice little crumbs.
3) scoop 2/3rds of the dough into the glass dish and press down firmly.
4) in a separate bowl, mix together the other ingredients (berries (or whatever fruit you use), cornstarch, maple or agave, and vanilla). Layer them into the dish then top with the remaining dough and press down a bit.
5) Bake for 45 minutes then cool at least 30 minutes before cutting into bars. If you want a soft crust, then cover them completely when storing. If you want a bit of a harder crust, then you can store them uncovered.
Be sure to check out my previous posts for the health benefits of whole grains, spices/herbs, and fruits. Just click on the links below to see those posts:
- Straw-raspberry rhubarb crumble (f00dventures.wordpress.com)
- A Grab ‘N Go Breakfast With ZERO Added Sugar (and you will love it) (pushdumpfatbutton.wordpress.com)
- Holy deliciousness granola bars (kerrycooks.wordpress.com)
- 4 Healthy Versions of Your Favorite Snacks (Like a Granola Banana Bar!) (self.com)
- Strawberry Oat Bars (floursugareggsbutter.wordpress.com)
- Product review: good n natural lemon bar (f00dventures.wordpress.com)
- chocolate chip cookie granola bars. (sallysbakingaddiction.com)
- Cherry-Cranberry Granola Bars (theheartyherbivore.wordpress.com)
- Raspberry Oat Crumble Bars (hookedontaste.wordpress.com)
- Homemade larabars (f00dventures.wordpress.com)
- oatmeal lemon creme bars. (sallysbakingaddiction.com)
- Apple Crumble (notecook.com)
- Oh So Sweet Crumble! (100squaremetres.wordpress.com)